Friday, June 26, 2009

Double Wedding Ring Quilt


I started this quilt in 1989.  It was our first year of marriage and I took a course at Memphis State University (now called the University of Memphis).  I worked on it for a couple of years and had most of it pieced.  Then started having babies and put it up for many years.  I finally finished piecing it and quilting it in 2009.  So, have I been quilting for 20 years?  

The fabrics were picked 20 years ago.  Most were Waverly fabrics.  I remember a display in the fabric store and how much fun it was to pick each one.  The backing is a cream muslin.  It is all made from 100% cotton materials.

I so enjoyed quilting that I started an applique quilt from a pattern after a quilt that was made in 1850.  I am also in the process of cutting pieces of scraps for a Kansas Dugout quilt.  This will be for Amanda.  She and I went to Kansas together to get her service dog, Time.  And Adrienne wants me to make a crazy quilt using some of the fabrics from her old prom dresses.  Crazy quilts are a fun way to show off different embroidery stitches.

I'm hoping each quilt doesn't take me 20 years to complete.

No comments: