Thursday, December 3, 2009

My First Sock




My first sock!!!!
I was determined to figure it out without going to a class. Not that I didn't want to go to a class, but finding the time and money was keeping me from it. Short rows were puzzling me until I knitted some very simple fingerless gloves from my Weekend Knitting by Wendy Falick. She explained short-rows well and then it made more sense when I began the sock. Also, The cast-on was a provisional cast-on. I found a tutorial and posted the link. Turning the heel sounded scary, but I did it. Yay!

I didn't read that the binding off was any different than binding off anything else. So I finished it and tried to put it on. Well, the top needs to be a little stretchier. I looked in the book and sure enough found a section on different ways to bind it off. Well, it was a trial sock. I may have to hang it on my mantle for Christmas.

I recommend the book Socks from the Toe Up by Wendy Johnson. It has lots of beautiful socks. It shows you how to measure your foot for a sock to fit you just right.

1 comment:

LissaKay said...

Hey Renae, great job on the sock. You were probably one of those little kids that always said "I want to do it myself". I love looking at your new posts. I am having a "I miss you" moment. I love being able to see what you're up to here though.